Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A R Rahman

I dont know how many of you have listened to the songs of Endhiran.  I, for one, was absolutely baffled by
what Rahman has come up with.  As with Ravanan, in which album I struggled to identify one song of
passable music interest, Endhiran music is an unmitigated disaster (unless, of course, I have missed something). Amidst all the noises produced by the instruments and the singers, something more seems to have been
forgotten than just melody, which has been the casualty more often than not.  As Rahman gets more seasoned,
one expected him to juggle with various expectations and still provide tunes which had a nodding resemblance
to the ones he surged into the music world with.  But he seems to be focusing more and more on techno music
and all the moans and screeches that are expected to be pleasing the `youth'.  I can assure you that the `young'
in me is far from pleased and I would like to know how others feel.  I am coming around to believe that those who say Ilayaraja was much more consistent all through his career in delivering hits/good tunes, have not lost their marbles. Unless Rahman does a reverse musical somersault to go back to what worked with most of us till some 5 years ago, he might as well stick to the western world and produce more of the instrumental cacophony that he is getting to be identified with nowadays.

No comments:

20th Century Breakfast Experience!

A friend was visiting Bangalore from Bombay.  A rather innocuous suggestion from my dear wife that he should grab a bite at one of the anted...